A Community Focused Fund
Finding Affordable Rental Housing is a Struggle for America's Low-Income Families
- There's nowhere in the US where there's enough rental housing for people.
- For example, the Lancaster Housing Opportunity Partnership reports that rental housing is a significant concern in the City of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- Since 1960, renters’ incomes have increased by only 5% while rents have risen 61%, with renters now paying more than 30% of their income on housing.
- When adding transportation costs, that number jumps to 72% of all households being cost-burdened.
- This issue is predicted to worsen unless an increase in multi-family housing is not addressed.
First Project (Lancaster, Pennsylvania): Before and After
The OZFund is a community-focused ‘Qualified Opportunity Fund’ with plans to acquire properties for redevelopment into rental housing and commercial space serving the neighborhood. We are focused on Central Pennsylvania and Mid-Atlantic Regions.
- For its first project, the OZFund acquired a large property on South Queen Street, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The OZFund property is being developed into 52 working-family affordable apartments and 6,700sf of commercial space.
- The property is located in an Opportunity Zone as described by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (H.R. 1) of 2017 (TCJA). Opportunity Zones are intended to spur economic development and job creation in distressed communities while providing investors with an investment opportunity offering significant tax benefits.
- OZFund invites investors to support our project. Generous tax benefits are available for investors investing a capital gain, although you do not need a capital gain to invest in the OZFund. The investment opportunity is open to all investors.
- The OZFund is a Qualified Opportunity Fund (QOF). The QOF program could become the most impactful federal incentive for equity capital investment in distressed communities ever enacted. The QOF program is designed to tap into the country’s vast unrealized corporate and individual capital gains holdings. It encourages investors to invest their earnings in Qualified Opportunity Funds that support new and expanded business activity in Opportunity Zones nationwide and in US Territories. The immediate focus of the OZFund is central Pennsylvania and the mid-Atlantic region.
- The OZFund takes advantage of the tax benefits afforded by the program by acquiring below-market real estate located in an Opportunity Zone and redeveloping those properties into affordable apartments, homes, and commercial spaces. The fund may also invest in job-creating businesses that lease space from OZFund.
- Taxpayers who invest a capital gain into the OZFund receive significant tax benefits while enjoying an appreciation on their investment in a worthwhile community real estate project. No tax is payable on any profits from the investment if held in the fund for ten years. No tax is payable on any profits made from the investment if held in the fund for 10 years.
- Investors may invest in the OZFund regardless of if they have a capital gain to invest.
Tax Cuts and Jobs Act 2017:
The Opportunity Zone program is designed to tap into the country’s vast unrealized corporate and individual capital gains holdings. Investors invest in Qualified Opportunity Funds that support new and expanded business activity in low-income areas nationwide and in the US Territories.
To provide OZFund and its Investors with a profitable exit strategy while providing the investor with significant tax advantages for those investors investing a capital gain. The Fund’s property development strategy is coupled with a plan to liquidate or refinance the investment once specific predetermined criteria have been met or exceeded.
Oversight and Project Management:
The OZFund was established by the JPF Venture Group, Inc. (JPF Ventures). Supported by professional architects, design, construction, and land engineering specialists, JPF Ventures and its professional partners leverage a distinctive combination of business and property development expertise through property acquisition and development. With proven management experience and multiple successful property development projects, the Principals and Professional Consultants at JPF Ventures and the OZFund offer a proven and successful track record when investing in challenging opportunities.
Since 1990, companies founded and assisted by JPF Ventures have raised millions of dollars in capital and launched more than half a dozen products and services. These products and services have been developed, marketed, and sold to federal, state, and local governmental agencies and large and small customers. JPF Ventures is well connected to federal, state, and local governments in the US and beyond.
Benefits to Investors:
- The fund will be secured against the properties that it purchases.
- The fund is squarely focused on community development.
- Investing in job-creating businesses that lease space in OZFund properties offers additional investment income for the investor.
- OZFund is a long-term secured fund that offers significant tax benefits to investors with capital gains, including no tax payable from profits if held for ten years.